UWA choice for APS: prime or zoom?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
OP nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,377
Re: UWA choice for APS: prime or zoom?

fishy wishy wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

calson wrote:

If you want to go wider than 16mm with an APS-C camera the choice becomes going with the Nikon 8-15mm FX zoom fisheye or buying a FX or full frame camera. When I used the Nikon 16mm f/2.8 FX fisheye on a APS-C camera the result was a rectilinear image that approximated the view angle of a 20mm lens on a full frame camera.

I think that you may have thought I was talking about wider than 16mm on a full frame camera. I was talking about going wider than 16mm as marked on my lens on my APC-S camera. That is equivalent to 24mm Full Frame. I am not looking to go wider than 16mm full frame (which is about 10mm on a Nikon APS-C.).

Going full frame is a much more costly proposition that adding a lens. I don't want to go fisheye. The Tokina 11-20mm give a field of view equivalent to around 16-27mm on full frame. This would cover the range I was talking about

Why did you come up with that odd 27mm figure...? I'm sure you know it goes exactly to 30mm equivalent, I'm not sure where you got 27mm from, I've never seen a 27mm lens.

Because I did some mental arithmetic and had a brain freeze?  Oops You're right of course.  Using the 1.5 factor for Nikon APS-C, the full frame equivalent is 16.5mm to  30mm.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow