Highlight-weighted meter changes when exiting/returning to LV

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,000
Highlight-weighted meter changes when exiting/returning to LV

I've been doing some testing of the Z's highlight-weighted metering system. I use this as my landscape ETTR metering mode (w/exposure compensation) but wanted to also try some experiments to evaluate how well it works in other ETTR situations.

I set up a quick fill pattern on my monitor to test how the metering handles different color primaries/intensities. I immediately noticed that the meter reading sometimes changes if I exit/re-enter Live View, such as going into the Menu system or Image Playback, and then returning back to Live View. Basically any action that stops the camera from reading the sensor and then resumes reading it.

Here's a quick video to demonstrate:

Notice how the meter reading doesn't change if I engage an overlay such as the "i" menu, or if I zoom in to the image. In both those scenarios the sensor is still continuously read. But then notice the meter reading when I enter the Menu system and then exit.

This seems like a side effect of the highlight-weighted algorithm. Not sure I would call it a bug just yet. I couldn't reproduce this in the other metering modes. I think it's related to how the exposure system has a short ramp when the sensor reads start. You can see this ramp yourself if you have d8 on, leave LV, then re-enter LV - you'll see the previewed exposure ramp up, esp if you obscure/change the scene in between. I'm guessing the highlight-weighted algorithm is sampling during this ramp rather than after it's completed, leading to a mis-reading.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow