A100 upgrade path?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dave163 Regular Member • Posts: 378
A100 upgrade path?

I'd describe myself as a "keen casual" photographer rather than any sort of expert and got into DSLR photography back in 2006 when I splashed out on what seemed then like the radical A100. I bought a number of nice APC lenses to go with it and still enjoy using it. At the time it was quite radical - dust cleaning sensor, in-body stabilisation, 10 megapixels, plus compatible with some fine legacy Minolta lenses which I duly went and stocked up on too.

After 13 years I'm starting to feel that it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Battery life even of the replacement batteries is worsening, it feels slow and laggy compared to newer cameras I've seen and ISO performance beyond 400 is poor yet I see pictures shot on newer cameras at 3200 or 6400 that seem to be noise free. When shooting wildlife outdoors on overcast days I really feel the trade off between the noise of a higher ISO versus a wider aperture and longer exposure, a compromise I would not expect to be so stark with a better sensor. I'm also intrigued at the thought that with many newer interchangable lens cameras I could also record video and thus do away with the need to replace my ageing standard definition camcorder that I never use any more for the rare occasions that I might like to shoot video.

However, the most recent APC Alpha mount Sony body seems to be  the A68 and that was released in around 2015. Is the Alpha mount no longer supported by Sony despite being such a hit in the late 2000s and continuing the Minolta legacy? If so what should be my upgrade path given all my old lenses? If there are going to be no new bodies does that make them essentially worthless now from the point of view of selling them and buying into another format? Is there any way to convert them to another format using an adaptor? Incidentally I don't see myself moving to a full frame format (cost, complexity beyond what I need, longer reach for the same lens with APC, plus some of my lenses won't work with a full frame camera.

Or is the A68 still a top of the range competitor against the best of the others and still worth buying new?

Nikon Coolpix A100 Sony SLT-A68
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow