Rumored a7000: the promise of mirrorless

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jimkohn Regular Member • Posts: 305
Rumored a7000: the promise of mirrorless

I’m excited about the rumored aps-c a7000 because I think it might be the best of all mirrorless worlds. I love the form factor of my a7iii. The size and weight are good and I appreciate and use the dual control dials, joy stick and customizable buttons. And the more I work with the (admittedly complicated) autofocus the more impressed I am. This camera makes it hard to go back and use my a6500.

I am a prime shooter, mostly in the normal and short telephoto range.  I like my 35mm for travel. The a7iii with the Zony 35mm 2.8 is a GREAT travel package for me. It’s when I’m looking for more reach that I get frustrated with the size and weight of full frame. Admittedly, my definition of “small and light” seems to be different than that of many others. I’ve heard the Sony 85mm 1.8 described as small and light but, to me, that’s a behemoth! Of course I’m (perhaps unfairly) comparing it to the Sigma 60mm 2.8 on my a6500, or even my Zony 55mm 1.8 on the aps-c camera for roughly the same focal length. Big difference in form factor and that’s the focal length I use the most.

In the normal 50-ish focal length the 55mm 1.8 Zony is ok size and weight wise and really good in terms of IQ. But again, there are good smaller and lighter options for good primes in the normal range for aps-c, including my Zony 35mm 2.8. I know it’s not the fastest 35mm but I get really good results even shooting wide open and it is TINY.

So while I would be sacrificing some bokeh and low light performance, an a7iii-like body with an aps-c sensor to get the additional reach out of smaller primes is very intriguing to me.

jimkohn's gear list:jimkohn's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +3 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow