This question just occurred to me . . .

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,914
This question just occurred to me . . .

After yet another round of "Absolute Fact" crystal ball gazing saying Olympus is dead. Preceded by the 'Absolute Fact' thread that Nikon is dead, and the 'Abosulue fact' that Pentax is dead thread. So I thought I'd toss it out there and see what other people think.

Why do the Japanese companies try so hard to get in and stay in the camera business? Western based companies don't have a problem with starting and stopping a failing camera business. Even other Asian companies don't have this problem (look up Samsung)

We all 'know' dedicated enthusiast/pro camera manufacturing is a losing proposition Yet we see Sony trying (successfully) to push its way into this market long after the rise of the smartphone camera has been globally acknowledged. Furthermore, we see Panasonic doubling down on Cameras by announcing a full frame line of Cameras.

When you dig into the ownership of the second and third tier of camera lines, you see those brands are owned by Japanese conglomerates. And earlier, when Minolta, Konica, and Pentax each had an existential crisis, suitable mergers were found to keep them going.

Is it national pride? Some spiritual connectivity with photographs other cultures just don't get? I don't know what it is, but it makes believing those "X is dead" predictions a somewhat risky proposition.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow