The unexpected consequence of 8k and beyond -

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 6,598
The unexpected consequence of 8k and beyond -

There's something im not sure many are considering in this higher rez race. The tip off for me was 4k. The first time i bought a 4k screen it was a 42" IPS LG, still have it but the HDMI ports have died. Had a 50" 4k after that, it is gone though. Now i have a 55" 4k screen hooked up to this PC im typing on.

In between those 3 4k screens i had gone back to 1080p short term till i found an acceptable price on the next 4k screen, meaning i have went from 1080 to 4k on 3 separate occasions. The one thing going to 4k from 1080p taught me, i can see my photos and videos for more of what they are.

In 1080p everything looks much more similar, from noise to sharpness. BC 4k is showing me more pixels at one time, a sharp photo looks much more so than one that's blurred for whatever reason. Same with SNR, real differences in the photos are much more apparent on screen. So what will this mean with even higher rez?

Phones are screwed. Even stacked shots that combine frames for NR, they are not sharp and the alignment is poor, and shots that are single frames won't fair any better. 12mp shown on a TV that can display 35mp? Compare that to a larger sensor ILC and the differences in IQ will become more painfully apparent than they already are.

Now my first thought is hey, most people view their photos on small phone screens. Probably true, but it doesn't change what will happen when they are viewed on big high rez screens. I have already noticed this on my 4k screens, viewing some of the few phone shots i have over the years or some my wife takes. That is only going to get worse.

The unexpected consequence of 8K and beyond is the poorest IQ cameras in phones and cheap P&S will have their flaws, relatively speaking, magnified. The further we go down this rabbit hole, the worse it gets. What say you?

-- hide signature --

"Poisoned nerves and a bloody antidote,
Violence is not an aberration, it's a rule,
Dying beyond the pale,
Your beatings will continue until my morale improves,
I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy,
Remorse is for the dead..." -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow