KP and D-FA* 50 1.4 Real World Walkaround

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 1,172
KP and D-FA* 50 1.4 Real World Walkaround

Yes, I was able to acquire this lens as well, and I have to brag about the deal I stole.  Kenmore has this lens listed on Ebay as a $900 OB (demo) offering, and I made use of a $100 off Ebay coupon, so I got a pristine copy of this lens for $800 shipped, no taxes

Ok, now that I have gotten than off my chest...  As you may recall, I rented this lens back in Oct for an event, but I never got to get it outdoors to see how it would do for chasing my daughter around, or creative nature work.

The lens is a bit heavier than I would like for a casual stroll, but when I want absolute IQ, it does warrant the weight.  AF outdoors was for the most part, reliable, although I did include 1 shot where the AF did not focus on her face, but instead on her hood, so it is NOT always spot on at 1.4, but what SLR lens is???  I also included a shot with strong CA to show off how bright light is not really this lens friend in high contrast scenes.

My big takeaway is that this lens is awesome in its rendering, the AF is amongst the best Pentax has to offer (outside of perhaps the PLM, but on par with the newer offerings like the DA 20-40, and ahead of any and all Limiteds I have used so far), and if you can afford it and like to shoot FAST primes, it is a must-have lens, period.  I look forward to having MANY excuses to make the most of this lens this year for events, portraits and chasing my daughter around.

And now, photos

Here, even though I used center AF point squarely on her nose, it missed (below)

Here is the one with the strong CA (below)

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax KP Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +3 more
Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow