KP and 55-300 PLM (New toy with real world photos)

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 1,172
KP and 55-300 PLM (New toy with real world photos)

Thanks to some newly found financial fortunes I have added to my Pentax arsenal.  I acquired this lens secondhand via Ebay in excellent condition.  I debated spending the extra money on the DA* 300, but realized my skills are not up to it yet, so this lens can help me get better in view of one day upgrading further.

I already own the HD 55-300 5.6, so I bought this to see how much better the focusing is, and for the silent motor.  To be honest, this lens literally just blows the older model away.  It is not even a fair contest.  It is blazing for S-AF focus on the KP, and it also seems to lock more reliably in my opinion.  I am just floored at the difference in AF operation.

I will let the images speak to its IQ/Rendering.  It was not always ideal conditions out there today, but for a smaller body kit mounted on the KP, its just a joy to have to use, especially if you don't HAVE to carry a larger rig for better IQ.  I think I will advance myself as a birder and wildlife photographer this year having this lens.

Feel free to ask questions for me to test further, I will do my best to reply and test it more since this is a mild winter so far in the US Midwest.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax KP Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +3 more
Pentax 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow