A7R3+FE 24-105 F4 = AF is a disaster

Started Jan 6, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Damiroz Regular Member • Posts: 102
A7R3+FE 24-105 F4 = AF is a disaster

I wonder if anybody have problems with 24-105 F4 and A7R3 in AF-S mode.

I have to always press shutter button twice to get sharp picture with my 24-105 F4. When I hit the shutter button only once (green square) I have always (kind of) front focus with this lens.
I did a test in AF-S mode (flexible spot - size of it doesn't matter). I focus the lens pressing the shutter button 2x times and take a photo. Then I switch to manual focus, push the focus ring to refocus the lens and switch to AF one again. I tap the shutter button once to achive the focus (green square) and then I take the shot - it is missed focused.
Then I refocus the lens once again, tap the shutter button 2-3 times and then I take the shot - it is perfectly in focus (most of the times).

With my old a7R2 I haven't got any problems. It always worked flawlessly and I always had sharp pictures (same settings on r2 and r3). Camera on tripod, 2s selftimers, IBIS off, ISS off, no filters, AF priority.

I've checked 3 Sony a7r3 bodies and 6 or 7 different copies of the FE 24-105 F4. It is always the same problem. I've tested a7r3 with firmware 1.01, 1.10, 1.21 - same things happened, front focus most of the time.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow