Story of a thumb wheel gone bad

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Britney Elvis Veteran Member • Posts: 5,213
Story of a thumb wheel gone bad

So the stepson got a used nikon 5300 with the kit 55-300 and a 50 1.8 plastic fantastic for Christmas. He is a newbie so I was teaching him some of the basics and started enjoying the shooting. It is not a bad camera, in fact I was a little jealous. I have not had a new camera in a few years.

Nikon 50 1.8

Nikon Kit 55-300  He was shooting great in no time

This kit 55-300 is pretty good.

Back to the 50 1.8

Anyway... taking pics made me want to pull out my old Pentax's and show him the fun of the old MF lenses... I grabbed my KX that had been in the closet for some time and stuck the Helios 44M on it and started trying to shoot.
The thumbwheel would sometimes work and other times jump back and forth as I wheeled down. Sometimes jumping four or five stops on shutter speed or F-stop depending on the lens. Anyone else have this problem with a KX that has been setting for a while.

Helios 44M with K01

Nikkor 100 2.5

cosina 55 1.2

K01 was fine... Kx was trouble with the funky thumbwheel.

FA 77

FA 77

If you have had a bad thumbwheel problem with any Pentax, Is there an easy fix? I tried just spinning it back and forth in case there was just a contact that needed to be moved/cleaned a bit. No luck.
Going to go buy some contact cleaning spray unless I hear back about a better option
Thanks for the help.
Gus

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow