M4/3 in low light

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
lighthunter80
lighthunter80 Contributing Member • Posts: 753
Re: M4/3 in low light

jmorrisuk wrote:

Hi,

I'm struggling to find an answer regarding this and all i can really find is that M4/3 aren't great in low light due to the smaller sensor size which i completely understand, But what is the image quality actually like?

I'm changing over from a Nikon D90 where i mainly use a 18-300 when travelling, and shoot landscapes and street views, but also like to shoot at night and im wondering if the sensor size will rule this system out.

I was looking at this set up - Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III, 14-42mm & 40-150mm ED R as i can get a good deal on it at the moment but im just concerned about how it will perform at night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am shooting full frame, APSC and MFT since many years. Expect a noise advantage of one stop for APSC and about two stops for full frame over MFT.

If low light is your game then make sure you get fast lenses (f2.8 zooms or faster primes). This might satisfy many and could be the case for you, but you should really try it out and compare yourself.

I have sold all my APSC and MFT gear and stick with full frame as it gives me the best image quality even on high ISO situations. This is exactly where at least my MFT gear disappointed my exepecexpect but yours might be different.

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow