Anyone missing OVF?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John M Roberts Senior Member • Posts: 2,637
Anyone missing OVF?

Tonight I had grabbed my lighter Fuji X-E1 system for a leisure hike. I never enjoyed the handling of it enough to yet upgrade thus it has received little use for the years I've had it. My main and most used equipment has been a D800e and D750. I have needed to consider more compact equipment to ease my jaunts. I was considering X-T3 since I have several lenses and I might find it to have better handling. I also am very attracted to the Z7 with its impressive kit zoom for several reasons but not offering a 70~200 f4 on their two year road map creates reservations. I'm not thrilled about adding the adapter to my existing f4 tele due to bulk.

Getting back to my experience tonight with the Fuji has convinced me that the body has got to go if not the entire system. Among several troublesome attributes, like my hand accidentally switching settings and the too loose f stop ring not holding its position on lens changes, what I found very annoying was the electronic viewfinder rendering at contrasty situations during sunset times. In order to compose I had to adjust the shutter first to a speed which allowed me to see details in the shadows then increase the speed to see the sky. For this situation I used my 3 stop reverse grad hand held which I do often with my DSLR's.

The advantage with the DSLR's in this conditions is being able to see both the darks and lights in order to compose with ease, no fumbling with exposures first just to see parts of the scene. I'm sure EVFs have wonderful benefits in lowlight viewing if the majority of the scene is in a tighter dynamic range. Since I find myself in the described condition a fair amount I'm beginning to think EVFs in general may not cut it for me. I don't care to be driven to use a filter holder on a mirrorless just to see a composition that I can see well enough through an OVF.

Has anyone who is familiar with both and encountered this gripe of mine have a work around that I'm missing? I'd love to eventually get into the Z6 and 7 due to some compactness, I've wished for Nikon to have developed a high quality 24~70 f4 for years, having accurate focus across the sensor (no fine tuning needed) and have it be FF with Nikons smart handling. I know the majority of you in the Z forum came from optical so I thought here would be best to ask. Sorry for length and rant.

ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D750 Nikon D800E Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
iau
iau
FKS
NCB
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow