M4/3 in low light

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Ab Latchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,613
Re: M4/3 in low light

jmorrisuk wrote:

Hi,

I'm struggling to find an answer regarding this and all i can really find is that M4/3 aren't great in low light due to the smaller sensor size which i completely understand, But what is the image quality actually like?

Very good.

I'm changing over from a Nikon D90 where i mainly use a 18-300 when travelling, and shoot landscapes and street views, but also like to shoot at night and im wondering if the sensor size will rule this system out.

It shouldn't, the upgrade to the 16mp sensor in the EM10.3 is a step up. Combined with the superb IBIS which should give you better stabilization in all environments.

The Nikon you use is the same speed at the wide end as your current set-up, but you are using a far more modern sensor with superb IBIS and more resolution. SO the wide end shouldn't be a problem.

The 40-150 is a great little lens, it i 5.6 at the long end vs 6.3 on your current lens. There is around 1/2 a stop difference, and the sensor size is a little under one stop. So again, between the more modern sensor, IBIS and more resolution you should be fine.

I was looking at this set up - Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III, 14-42mm & 40-150mm ED R as i can get a good deal on it at the moment but im just concerned about how it will perform at night.

The real question is, what do you mean by night? All cameras struggle when there is less light and slower apertures (f4-5.6 ish) so I agree with many of the other posters, an f1.8 prime would do you well an both deliver a better final image quality and a sense of upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow