Still worth buying a new D500?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,859
Re: Still worth buying a new D500?

Mark A wrote:

nipprdog wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Figured that two years after launch the cost would have dropped a lot.

WHY??????

Because the technology is 3 years old.? Like a laptop, phone, etc., should/will the price drop?

I’m not trying to make this an “is this camera right for me thread.” I’m just trying to figure out If past strategies for Nikon have been to drop prices after a certain amount of time.

Thanks.

"old technology" could be an argument for other types of electronics, but what gets "obsolete" in such a camera? The D500  takes great pictures, the sensor is on top of the DX/APS-C food chain. New lenses still fit older models, practically any F-mount lens will work.  Why would the price drop, unless the manufacturer wants to drop it because they have a much, much, much  better competitor?

The D300 kept its list price forever, in spite of newer models with better sensors but not the same overall capabilities, until the D500 appeared. Then the D300 got discontinued.

There may be a mirrorred replacement to match the the D6, with maybe a second XQD slot, and a few other amenities, but the next big replacement should be mirrorless, possibly the same generation as the next round of FX mirrorless. Until then, the only thing that might entice me would be a second XQD slot.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow