Is Autofocus Better on Sony A7II than Nikon D750/D810 for Events?

Started Dec 26, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wingster999 Regular Member • Posts: 397
Is Autofocus Better on Sony A7II than Nikon D750/D810 for Events?

Looking for opinions from those that may have switched from Nikon to Sony and their general impression on autofocus accuracy for events with fast moving kids, family, weddings etc. I currently own a D810 and a Tamron 70-200G2 (great lens once tuned), Tamron 35, Nikon 50 1.8 and a 24. I have tried a number of other lenses but keep coming up disappointed on autofocus results in fast moving situations. I have come to the conclusion that part of it may be skills, but part of it is the limitations of the Nikon system. I like many elements of the Nikon cameras, and have decided to hold on to what I have, but do not want to invest any more in Nikon and am looking at Sony for an "event camera?". Looking at starting with the A7II and a 24-105 or 24-70. Questions is how much better is the autofocus in situations where you want sharp eye focus on moving kids etc? For static subjects, the Nikon does fine. Cannot justify more than a 2000 total investment at this time. I just got through evaluating a Nikon 24-70 2.8G which still comes up short. Don't get me wrong, I am getting some good shots but the number of poor focus shots in lower light is disappointing. The D750 is not much better. I am sure that the problem is that the focus technology is limited in Nikon. I am not able to buy a D850 or D5 at this time. l back button focus with C mode as a general rule and use mainly center point focus at 2.2- 4.0. As I write this I just saw this post on this Forum that addresses similar concerns: Weak Low Light Autofocus on A7RIII. But I am looking at replies from anyone coming over from Nikon. Also, my shooting issues are in lower light in door situations. I just want to know if this direction is the best for me. Thoughts?

wingster999's gear list:wingster999's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +1 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D750 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow