Z6 - Worse than reviews indicate Locked

Started 10 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
PictureTakerPhotoMaker Regular Member • Posts: 229
Z6 - Worse than reviews indicate

So Santa dropped a Z6 though the chimney.

Since he charged my credit card I feel I can comment on it and not judge it like a gift

I'm saying that because it seems most reviewers do treat it like a gift and remain (too) friendly to the presenter (even when they acquired it for review they don't seem to write too bad since that will destroy their information stream, the real currency they live by).

When I got it out of the box first disappointment was that the battery was empty. Fortunately I could steal a full one out of my D500. It lasted about 250 shots under the tree, only stills shot, no video.

The second big disappointment was the menu system. Whilst it looks similar and can be touch controlled (finally!) the AF part is simply a nightmare menu wise. Nothing is named like it used to be, nothing seems to work the same. Out of the box AF is downright unusable. I had to read what to do online to change it to something more useful. Never had so many out of focus images since the D70. This is shooting some family portraits indoors, lights were up after the unboxing ceremony. This is not shooting fast moving subjects. A real let-down. Having used the V1 + V2 I don't understand why Nikon has screwed up so badly here.

AF performance after some tweaking increasing the responsiveness was a little bit better, but still far from any current Nikon DSLR. Switching between faces in Wide AF mode was OK after some time, but nothing compared to 3D metering. Really nothing - read: clumsy, hard to use AND worst of it still missing focus in way too many shots. Now I've got more than 600 shots on it and still feel AF is holding me back instead of supporting me. Never had that before. If there is a learning curve it is already too long for my taste, however I'm afraid it is simply a bad AF system.

The rest of the camera is as advertised. Small body with a rather big 24-70. IBIS and C-AF make some noises, need to listen into the videos if there are any noises recorded from them. For me the buttons are a bit too small, the D500 feels much better in my hands. Snapbridge works well. Viewfinder is very good. Battery life sucks compared to a DSLR. Images are OK quality wise, but no big surprises here, just like what we had for some years now from Nikon.

All in all this feels like the XT-1 with its initial software: nice design but just a pain in the neck to use and constantly getting in the way of taking pictures. Currently I cannot imagine I'll keep the camera. It actually drives me away from Nikon since it is so bad I wont be enjoying using my old glass on it so I can switch to another maker (Fuji's XT3 or Sony's A9) as well. Yes, I know, great pictures have been taken with worse cameras. It is just too much a step back in terms of reliability AF wise from the D700 (no typo here) that I feel it is not worth to already invest into the Z system.

PictureTakerPhotoMaker's gear list:PictureTakerPhotoMaker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus TG-5 Nikon D1X Nikon D2Hs Nikon D700 +5 more
Nikon Z6
25 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Aug 23, 2018
PictureTakerPhotoMaker's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
bad
Action / sports
poor
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
mediocre
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D500 Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow