Weak Low Light Autofocus on A7RIII

Started Dec 25, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,267
Weak Low Light Autofocus on A7RIII

So its been Christmas Eve and early Christmas morning and with my kids home and my three year old grand daughter excited about the day I've been taking lots of pictures around the house with my A7RIII and HVL-43M flash.

I'm finding AF in several modes slower and less accurate than I would have thought.  It has missed or failed to focus several times. I am set up for Manual exposure mode since I am using flash at 1/250 of a second and f/2.8 to f/4 with flash on TTL using my GM 24-70mm f/2.8 lens with ISO 1600.

So bothered this I broke out my Canon EOS 5 D Mark IV and 600 EX-RT flash and set up the exposure, etc. exactly the same and and it never failed to focus quickly and accurately with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II lens and got shots I hoped to capture on the Sony.

So I am not sure what's going on. Should I use an A7III instead. Would that have focused better in the low light?

Looking for advise or to understand others experiences.

Steve W

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow