Tip: Enabling both focus peaking + exposure zebras

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,003
Tip: Enabling both focus peaking + exposure zebras

I stumbled onto a hack today while attempting to shoot a move. The Z support focus peaking in both stills and movie mode and exposure zebras in movie mode only. I wanted to use both together today when recording a movie but the camera wont let you turn on exposure zebras if focus peaking is enabled. The workaround I discovered is to first disable focus peaking, then turn on exposure zebras, then enable focus peaking. In other words, the camera prevents you from enabling zebras if peaking is enabled but Nikon forgot to disable the alternate case of preventing you from enabling focus peaking if zebras are enabled (assuming they really want to prevent both from being used simultaneously, otherwise it's a bug that's disallowing the enabling of zebras when peaking is enabled).

Normally focus peaking only works in MF mode. When in MF mode with peaking enabled the exposure zebras wont display, which brings us to the second part of this hack. Switch to AF-S mode, then hold down AF-ON and start turning the focus ring (or start turning the ring first and press AF-ON while still turning) - the camera will temporarily switch to MF mode, enabling focus peaking while you focus. Exposure zebras will temporarily disappear while you're manually focusing, but will reappear as soon as you release AF-ON to return to AF-S mode.

Terminology note: Nikon calls their focus peaking "Peaking highlights" (Custom Setting a9), and their exposure zebras "Highlight display" (Custom Setting g6).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow