The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Started Oct 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
Old Greenlander Veteran Member • Posts: 4,337
Re: The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

RVJ wrote:

Hi Greenlander, thanks for your input.

It's a tough one.
I've always been a photographer, but started taking it far more seriously since putting in the hours and getting some nice shots of the Kingfishers, but also realising that my gear is preventing me from getting nicer shots.
There's a Barn Owl locally that feeds on the water meadows, and I managed some shots of that which I was pleased with, but focus tracking at dusk, on an eos 750d isn't the best.
Like a lot of people, I'm waiting and hoping for something new from Canon in 2019.
The Kingfishers I've found locally all seem to feed under dense cover, presumably for safety from predators, so light is low even in the middle of a summer's day, and the vantage points I've found are pretty small and not easily accessible, so I think the 300 2.8 ii with extenders looks to be the most versatile option.

Is the IS on the 300 2.8 ii as effective as it is on the 100 400 ii?
I'll certainly be keeping the 100 - 400 for it's versatility, especially it's semi-macro capabilities with extension tubes.

All the best.

I don't use OS with birds

In general the shutter speed is shorter than 1/2000

Nevertheless. Never say never

I am in the field now and the weather is miserable with cast skies and rain

Because of the poor light. I found myself using 1/800 handheld with no OS and as low as 1/200 with OS

Combo D850 plus Sigma 500F4

Watch my posts in the next weeks

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
40 years of photography and still learning
https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=88256

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow