The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Started Oct 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
Old Greenlander Veteran Member • Posts: 4,337
Re: The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

RVJ wrote:

Hi Frank, the 150-600 sounds far superior to their 50 -500 os, which I still have and keep meaning to put on eBay. I loved the versatility, but it wasn't great wide open. f8 was very acceptable though.

Many of the reviews of the Sigma 500 f4 say it produces some of the nicest subject isolation they've ever seen.
I've found a mint condition Canon 300 2.8 ii at the local shop, and having looked through it's performance with converters, on The Digital Picture charts, I think it could be the most light weight and versatile option.
Even with a 2x converter and stopped down just 1/3 of a stop, it still looks very sharp, and with a 1.4x it will give me an extra stop and 40mm on the 100-400 ii, which apparently measures 380mm in reality.

It's a tough choice when spending that much money, but I'll stick with APSC cameras all the while they're available, so the 300 and converters will give me three very handy focal lengths.
All the best.

RVJ

I have all those four lenses you talk about

50-500 OS is the oldest and lowest grade while the lightest. it is obsolete by the new generation standards

100-400 mk2 has very high quality and is very versatile

300F2.8 is very good for low light, heavier

500F4 has the best subject isolation by far, is the heaviest and most expensive

If you are a beginner 100-400 mk2 is the best choice

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
40 years of photography and still learning
https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=88256

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow