Mid price phone reviews?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
JRM PT Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: Mid price phone reviews?

Glen Barrington wrote:

JRM PT wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

JRM PT wrote:

Do you have the chance to pair it with a Toyota infotainment system? It is said that most manufacturers, including Toyota, don't make their systems compatible with android, just ios for security reasons. Not sure if this is true but would be a big drawback.

Not sure WHO says that! It is not the cars with Honda, Ford, or Mazda. Why would any sane marketer voluntarily cut itself off from well over 80% of the market?

The bad news... as early this year (April)

I can't read this article since it requires me to disable my ad blocker. . . ef-em

The expectations... not yet confirmed by the brand. About 50 car brands use Android auto and 60 Apple CarPlay, security and privacy being the major concerns of the car manufacturers, with possibility of copying data from speed, engine revs, coolant temp and others. One shouldn't forget that Google is developing self driven cars, so getting data from major manufacturers would be very interesting...

Reading more on the subject, there's no pairing issues but you can't use all Google's apps.

Lack of wireless charging in new phones is a minus as it is a feature that I think I'd use a lot

So. . . it's only Toyota that is the 'problem'? And that it seems Toyota's biggest problem is WHO gets to steal your information? And I find curious, that you interpret the comment:

"In the meantime, Toyota has spent the last few years building its in-car infotainment experience around the Ford-born SmartDeviceLink platform, which allows some iOS and Android apps to be mirrored on a vehicle’s screen."

as applying only to Android!

Because Apple CarPlay is already working on their infotainment systems. It doesn't look only a problem of Toyota:

https://www.web2carz.com/autos/news/7212/why-some-automakers-still-dont-have-apple-carplay-and-android-auto

They allow you to connect any phone but they want to pick which apps you can and can't run on their cars' system.

I'm interested on this issue as I need to change both my car and phone next year. I'll probably go for the new Corolla Sport Wagon hybrid and prefer to buy a Nokia android one phone mainly because I find iphones way overpriced.

JRM PT's gear list:JRM PT's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow