Canon 50L vs 50 ART survey

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
2Risky Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: Canon 50L vs 50 ART survey

You did specify portraits.

I still have both but am definitely leaning towards the 50A.  Although you specified portraits you didn't mention studio or environmental.  As you said, the 50A is sharper than the 50L wide open.  And although it is still slightly sharper at f2.8, the 50L does close the gap and depending on the "look" you desire it should work well for you.

I've taken a number of portraits with the 50L that I really like, even a few at 1.2, but you really have to like that mostly out of focus look.  It looks great sometimes, not so much at others.  Several of these sharp lens are close by f2.8 or f4 if that aperture will give you what you seek. Most people probably wouldn't notice the difference, even if we do (my wife always demands that I not use the sharpest lens when taking her photograph).  At first I had some concern about occasional focus shift but I haven't noticed it lately so it much have been me because overall I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting now.  Earlier this month I went on a casual night time shoot and accidentally took the 50A instead of the 35 f1.4ii.  Despite my expectations I was very pleased with the results. Most of the shoots were at f1.4.

2Risky's gear list:2Risky's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow