Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,021
Re: Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

sungphoto wrote:

On that note (not hygiene), considering you are experiencing what seems like somewhat abnormal wear, do you have any theories why it's occurring?

i think it’s because the material was either not applied correctly or the formulation was inappropriate for the use. To me, this feels like a QA issue.

Do you have large-ish hands? Do you typically shoot one-handed? Do you tend to use heavier/larger lenses that might put more pressure on a certain point of the grip?

While I don’t consider my hands to be large-ish, I do buy and wear large-sized gloves. I don’t shoot one-handed, but I’m generally gripping my camera with one hand to keep it from bouncing on my sling strap. Most of the time, I have wide or ultra-wide MF glass mounted. Now and then, I have a CV 125/2.5 mounted, about 750g, I think.

Interesting to see this happening on the Z, as it's something that was an issue on my A7R2 bodies as well, but in that case it was the thumb pad that wore prematurely. I wore through the back thumb pad down to the plastic in about 5-6 months. In that case I was quoted a minimum of $250 plus parts to repair it, so I did it myself

It'd be interesting to find out how much it'd cost to replace the rubbers though, as they will eventually require replacement on most cameras with enough usage. From the lensrental teardown, the rubber grip material looks like a pain to remove as it's held by a combo of screws and glue: "Nikon uses more of a ‘you ain’t getting this off without a fight and a heat gun’ adhesive. Kind of a pain for disassembly/reassembly, but the strong adhesive, along with lots of overlapping edges covered by the grip rubber is kind of impressive. In many places the plastic shell doesn’t just interlock; it overlaps, screws together and then is covered with rubber grip and adhesive. That should not only give a superior weather seal, but it’s also probably giving some added strength to the assembly."

However, on the good side, it doesn't require completely disassembly of the case like the Sony to replace the grips. The thumb pad thankfully is super easy to replace from the looks of it, as it is integrated with the card door (you have to remove the entire rear casing of the Sony A7R2 bodies to replace the thumb grip).

I imagine, though I haven’t examined it closely, that correction may not be simple.

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow