A7rIII - RAW is not RAW when shooting with picture profiles?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Bo
David Bo Senior Member • Posts: 1,203
A7rIII - RAW is not RAW when shooting with picture profiles?

Hi all.

I have a question, or many actually

Picture profiles on A7rIII obviously make a difference in RAW too, and it Puzzles me.

Same exposure same ISO, WB etc, but different histogram on these 2 files. The overexposed one is with no PP, the other one is with PP7 (SLog2) profile. Fastrawviewer, LR, and Capture One show the same different Histogram for the files that should be the same. EDIT: There is a difference in EXIF under brightnessValue 3654/2560 on the darker file, and 4824/2560 on the overexposed one. What does that mean since shutter speed and aperture are the same?

What is more puzzling are that I can't bring back the highlights in the seemingly overexposed file no matter what I do (Contrast, curves, highlight recovery, exposure etc), it simply makes false color in the area with blown out highlights on the seemingly overexposed photo. Or maybe the Picture profiles really do change the RAW file?

I have to raise the exposure of the photo with PP7 around 3,3 EV to blow out the highlights like on the other file??

RAW is not RAW? Maybe some wise people can enlighten me @jimkasson maybe?

Greetings David

No picture profile applied, and RAW file shown(I did not take any Jpeg in camera).

View: original size

PP7 (SLog2) picture profile applied, and RAW file shown(I did not take any Jpeg in camera).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow