The Answer To the Fuji Olympus Quiz

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ab Latchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,318
The Answer To the Fuji Olympus Quiz

Firstly, any differences between the two pictures could have been ironed out with a smidge more processing, but overall it looks like 2/3rds preferred A, and a third preferred B. I suspect some voting had some brand preference involved as it was possible to see some X-Trans effects.

Having said that, I believe it was Tommi who said something to the effect of, if you put these two in two rooms on two days, you might not even know they were different pictures, let along taken with different cameras.

The point to the test was to show that, regardless of comments to the effect of "m43rds has a noisy sensor even at base ISO" that compared to a sensor lauded for punching above its weight for noise performance, there is almost nothing in it. Imagine with all the other variables your picture taking, how could you possibly see the differences?

The most noticeable practical difference was the lack of IBIS on the Fuji system. This wasn't a strobe shoot, it was shot using 1 Aputure 120D plus softbox. I was getting a shutterspeed of around 1/120 or 1/200 at ISO 400-800 and apertures of f1.8 and F2. At those shutterspeeds hand holding does become risky and for posing models IBIS does really help.

The answer was A was the Olympus and B the Fuji. But again the differences are really negligible between these two systems and will often be made up for by other technologies or opportunities.

As to the Famous Fuji or Olympus Colour, two of these were shot with the Fuji, and 2 with the Olympus, noise aside, can you tell which is which?

Can you tell which is which? The EXIF is for one of these, not for all. But 2 were taken with the Fuji and 2 with the Olympus...

Camera companies are doing more and more in-camera adjustments, and fuji currently is performing a lot of on sensor NR and colour smoothing, if you like it, more power to you. Personally I am not sure I see any reason to sell my equipment and then spend a great deal of money to switch, at least in this scenario for 4mp.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow