Sharpness scores for most FE lenses

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JohnNEX Senior Member • Posts: 1,836
Sharpness scores for most FE lenses

This is another update of a previous post .

I'll repeat a bit of the old post here but if there is something you don't understand it may be addressed there.

There are several review sites which do sharpness tests. The problem is that they typically test only one copy of each lens and (sometimes) they do not consistently test on the same camera, which makes comparison between lenses impossible.

I have collated a LOT of test scores now and mashed them together using regression-type techniques to get the test scores on a kind of consistent basis, so we have MTF curves for a few samples of each lens, which (hopefully) are a bit more reliable.  There are a myriad of assumptions in the calculations, however, which can provide handy excuses to ignore the results if you don't like them.

The sharpness scale of zero to 160 means nothing - its just an arbitrary scaling so you can compare the scores across lenses (although a score of 100 is probably a useful definition of 'sharp'). The blue line is the centre and the grey line the corners. The orange line is a bit tricky to interpret because different sites use different terminology for the 'middle' measurement - one site calls it "border" and another calls it "partway" and another calls it "2/3" etc.  If you are colourblind then the top line is the centre, the middle line the middle and the bottom line is the corners.

In addition to making some minor changes to the methodology for scaling the results, for the charts below I've changed the presentation quite a lot compared to the older post.  The main change is to put a 'benchmark' lens on each chart (the dotted lines) so you can see how the sharpness compares to another.  The benchmark lens is the GM zoom lens of the same (or close) focal length.  For the 85mm lenses, I've used the 85/1.4 GM as the benchmark.

The 'rank' number aligns with stuff I've shown before , but just for the FE lenses.

Let me know if you think this presentation is useful.  The charts might be a bit small on mobile devices so you should get one with a bigger screen.

JohnNEX's gear list:JohnNEX's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow