Z7 synch speed with studio strobes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,424
Z7 synch speed with studio strobes

There have been reports in this forum of the Z7 not achieving its specified maximum strobe synch speed with some studio strobes at full output. Previous tests had been performed with a radio trigger. I'm reproducing my versions of those tests below, and also adding results with a copper wire trigger.

I had previously noticed the this effect with some of the Sony a7x cameras, so I did a series of tests with the Godox AD 600 TTL Pro, the Godox pro radio trigger (not the newest version, since I don't have mine yet) with a Nikon 105/2.8 macro and the flash set for a full pop. I tested with both a Z7 and a D850.

The maximum synch speed for the Z7 is specified as 1/200 second. For the D850, it's 1/250. You can see that with both cameras there is considerable shading at the specified synch speed, slight shading 1/3 stop slower than that, and essentially none 2/3 stop slower than the spec.

Here's the new part. I tried again using a hot-shoe-to-PC converter and a synch cord to the strobe.

It's a little better, but not much. It looks like, at high shutter speeds, the trailing curtain is affecting the gradation.

If you dial back the power on the strobe, which makes the duration shorter, the problem goes away.

Note that from the density variations at the top of the images, the strobe duration appears to be longer than 1/200 second.

If you have a strobe with a very short flash duration, this may not affect you, even at full power. But in some earlier testing with the fast Paul Buff Einsteins on a7x cameras, the effect was there for a full pop. I no longer have the Einsteins, so I can't so that test with the Z7.

It looks like testing with studio strobes may be advisable before using the fastest synch speeds for shots that can't be redone.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow