EM5 replacement and flash recommendations

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Webreaper Forum Member • Posts: 74
EM5 replacement and flash recommendations

We have two Oly EM5 Mk1 bodies, and a few lenses (Oly 60mm macro, 40-150 2.8 Pro, and 12-40 2.8 pro) but the two bodies are starting to age (both at 140k shots, with an estimated 100k lifespan by Oly) and we're thinking of replacing them. We do a lot of horticultural photography, so mostly static, with a lot of macro shots.

So trying to decide what bodies to replace it with (we need a pair of bodies). Firstly, do we need to stick with Oly (to keep using our existing glass) or are there others we can/could consider? We've been really pleased with the EM5, so would be happy to stay with something similar.

Assuming it's still Oly, that would make it a simple choice. I guess the EM5 Mk2 would make a lot of sense, but can anyone quickly summarise the differences between the EM1 Mk2, EM5 Mk2 and EM10 Mk2 - from a practical perspective? I think I read that the EM5 Mk2 does automatic built-in focus-stacking so would be good for some of the really close macro work we do.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a flash solution for our macro shots? We have a Metz MS-1 but it's stopped working reliably and half the time doesn't fire properly  So what should I look at getting? Ideally I'd like wireless (TTL), but we want something that's going to work, last and give us lots of options. Potentially we want two units so we can light from multiple angles for close work.

Any recommendations gratefully accepted!

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow