Revisionist history of the micro 4/3rds standard unique selling prop. Locked

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 37,555
Revisionist history of the micro 4/3rds standard unique selling prop.

I have seen at this point several people that seem to think that micro four thirds wasn't created with intent as a key priority for making small cameras, small lenses.

So let's go back to 2018 when Panasonic and Olympus made their joint press release announcing the new standard

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4821964954/microfourthirds#press

See how many times they mention that the standard is pretty much all about enjoying great performance *for smaller and lighter* lenses/bodies.

I leave the readers with the first paragraph and another, please dig in the link.

"Tokyo, 5 August 2008, Olympus Imaging Corporation (Olympus Imaging) and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (Panasonic) today announced joint development of technologies and devices for the "Micro Four Thirds System standard," a new standard that extends the benefits of the Four Thirds System standard for interchangeable lens type digital camera systems by enabling dramatic reductions in size and weight. Under the terms of an agreement between the two companies, they will work jointly toward commercial production of significantly lighter and more compact interchangeable lens type digital camera systems."

"But compact digital cameras continue to offer an expanding range of features and performance, and market surveys indicate that customers choose compact models because they find digital SLR cameras to be "big, heavy, and difficult to operate.""

And another snip

"The Micro Four Thirds System enables users to enjoy the high image quality benefits of the Four Thirds System's 4/3-type image sensor in a much more compact camera body, and also take advantage of significantly more compact lenses, particularly in the wide-angle and high-power zoom range."

Size, lighter, market trend.

To those who think this is not *THE* unique selling proposition of m43rds, stop revising history. The best case you can make is that Panny_lympus decided to change purpose mid race.

Yes, *micro* in the name of the standard is about smaller size of body and lenses. Not the sensor (it's the same size of the 4/3rds standard after all), but size of camera body, lenses.

And I still have to say, going big size Is what killed 4/3rds.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
GBC
GBC
GBC
GBC
GBC
GBC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow