RX100M6, speeding trains

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,027
Re: RX100M6, speeding trains

sludge21017 wrote:

DUTCH van Atlanta wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

The trains certainly weren't parked. They were running non-stop on the fast (non-platformed) lines through the station. They are 125mph trains, but were running much slower than that as they went through the station. I'd have used a lower shutter speed had I known.

I liked your original post in this thread. At times this forum certainly seems to have more than its share of cynics.

That is true.

But the subject was "Speeding Trains"... I had hopes for trains really moving fast.

Maybe "125mph trains pulling into station" would've worked better.

Here's a few more pics. The first shows the same 10-car train departing from the station:

The same train on its way out

The exif data shows that they the pictures were taken 21 seconds apart. I calculate that the train will have moved about 250m in that time. That's about 43 km/h or about 27mph. So, not really speeding (for a 125mph train), but hardly parked either. It's a lot faster than a running dog or sports (wo)man.

Here's a couple of pictures I took a little earlier, when the light was better (but still poor). Those trains look like they're running a bit faster:

Note the falling rain, in this picture taken a few minutes before sunset

This one is probably going a bit faster

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow