So, do you travel photographers shoot zoom or primes and why?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ViMa
ViMa Contributing Member • Posts: 747
So, do you travel photographers shoot zoom or primes and why?

Hi! I do know that such a thing is, in the end a matter of personal opinion, but I would be keen to read what people say in 2018.

On the one hand, a zoom lens offers great versatility, and were one to use something such as the brick, it could mean a one lens solution, which is certainly particularly helpful when travelling.

One the other hand, prime lenses are smaller, less conspicuous and lighter. It is easier to go around with one of the f2 lenses and avoid being stared at as a pro, than do so with one of the bigger lenses (and in this I would include some of the bigger primes as well).

Primes do also offer more stops of light and presumably better IQ, though again this is, I guess, debateable. I keep on reading that the brick offers just as good an image quality.

I have never shot a zoom on my Fujifilm, and generally very rarely have shot one in any other system. Even when I owned the RX100V, I had set it to memory recall for 35mm and shot that FL constantly.

It is because of this that I get a kneejerk reaction when I think of using a zoom. On the other hand, the brick does look like a very good one lens solution for travel. I do not mind not having OIS at all.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa's gear list:ViMa's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jrk
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow