Raws and noise

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JamesAg Junior Member • Posts: 42
Raws and noise

Hi, I'm a total newbie to shooting in raw and editing photos. I have a question about what to do for photos where there are a bunch of photos of a family event and I don't want to edit all of them.

If I shoot JPEG on my camera, I get acceptable results out of the camera, and I can just share all the shots with my family. My family can pick out whatever shots they're interested in. I might edit one or two photos of a given event before posting to Facebook, but that's just to practice editing and try to get a feel for what all the sliders do.

When I shoot in raw, all the pictures are quite noisy. So I have to apply some amount of noise reduction, and then some amount of sharpening, just to get them to the point where the JPEG starts. I don't know if this amount is consistent at different ISOs, but I suspect it isn't (please inform me if I am incorrect!). Is there a way to shoot raw but be able to apply a common mass edit via lightroom that will get the RAWs into a condition that is at least as good as the default JPEGs?

JamesAg's gear list:JamesAg's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Apple iPhone XS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow