RX100M6, speeding trains

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Horacecoker Senior Member • Posts: 2,483
Re: RX100M6, speeding trains

KeepCalm wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

I've just bought an RX100M6, and decided to try it out shooting speeding trains in low light. I like travelling on and photographic steam trains, and I wouldn't normally use a little camera like the RX100. More probably, I'd use my A6500 with 16-70 lens. But the little RX100 has a much wider zoom range, so I wondered how well it would do.

This picture was taken about five minutes before official sunset, on an overcast, rainy day, so the light was terrible. The modern train was speeding past, and unlike a steam train, doesn't have many details to focus on:

The camera managed to focus on a fast-moving train in very low light (ISO6400)

But then I perhaps pushed it too far. The next shot was taken half an hour later, around 25 minutes after sunset. But even in near-darkness, the camera still managed to focus on the fast train. However, there's a limit on how far you can push a little 1" sensor:

Even DxO PhotoLab struggles to clean up this very low light, ISO6400 image (obviously flash cannot be used in such situations).

-

One other discovery I (re)made: when shooting in continuous mode, even at low frame rates, the eShutter is used, so you can to watch out for rolling shutter effects when panning.

Hmmm...I think it can be cleaned up a little more?

??????

Cleaned up by downsizing to 1.7mp, maybe. But let's see your more cleaned up version at full res which is what Nigel posted. My betting is it will just be a smeary mess.

David

The brightened up image looks rather good and makes a rather atmospheric image but i then i suppose there is no pleasing the molecular scientists looking at the results from the microscopic analysis.

You could apply the same sarcasm for any shot that was ever taken with any  photographic device in the history of photography, if someone happens to say the image quality is pretty bad.

I am amazed that the camera could grab focus on this.

And that was (I think) the whole point of the thread.

David

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow