Z7 vs D850 studio portraits

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sungphoto Regular Member • Posts: 385
Z7 vs D850 studio portraits

Did a quick comparison of my D850 with the Z7, both with their native 24-70s (G version on D850 and S on Z7).

To my eye, on my macbook pro screen, the Z7 files are the tiniest bit sharper. This is almost certainly because the difference in lens. I’d like to repeat this test once I get my FTZ adapter in, and use the same lens on both bodies. In this case I wanted to use the native lens though in order to see if various reports that low light AF was poor. My verdict is that in studio, the Z7 is fantastic from an AF standpoint, and is as fast as my D850 in nailing focus in AF-S. In some cases it was actually slightly faster than my D850 to confirm focus, which is very impressive.

Was in AF-S and single point AF on both cameras. Z7 had D8 (live view preview setting effect) off, IBIS on, EFCS on, Low light AF on, AF assist lamp off. Shot at f6.3, 1/200 SS, iso 100.

Z7 full resolution

Z7 crop

D850 full resolution

D850 crop

Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow