Why & When equivalence matters

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,996
Why & When equivalence matters

Two examples:

1. I am a m43 shooter, but on occasion take out small groups of photographers to introduce them to a new area of photography. And as expected many turn up with aps-c and FF cameras.

On those days my role is to help and advise and if I am not conversant with f-stop and DoF equivalents across the various formats I wouldn't be in a position to help much.

Shooting Roller Derby I previously advised FF shooters they would need a 70-200 f2.8 because of the really poor light and the need to try and get a usefully fast shutter speed, at that time I was unaware that it would give the FF shooters a far to narrow depth of focus to be useful for those new to shooting the sport.

Eventually f4 was found to be the fastest for practical use on FF, and f5.6 when the action was close. My m43 at f2.8 was perfect.

2. I had to share a studio with three FF shooters and the owner kept tweaking the studio lights to suit his partner, while helpfully shouting out settings such as f8 at 1/125th., iso###.  Adjusting my m43 to get a similar DoF meant tweaking the ISO to allow for my flash sync speed settings. There was little time and not being used to dealing with equivalency and constantly having to allow for the changes I blew the exposure many shots in that session.

So I think it is important to have an understanding of equivalence when working with other groups of photographers.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow