Lack of 'character' from Sony/CZ lenses

Started Dec 8, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Vayl
Vayl Junior Member • Posts: 25
Lack of 'character' from Sony/CZ lenses

Hey folks,

Looking to invest into a mirrorless system for fashion photography and some cinematography work as well. Sony A7x series seems the best suited for my needs, on paper.

However whenever I look at pictures from A7x photographers I find them unpleasing (a subjective matter for sure, but I just don't like them). Sure they're sharp across the frame but that's really not the most important thing in the world for me. And I don't care about slight vignetting as this is easily solvable in post.

But all the Sony lenses and even the Zeiss ones (Batis & co.) really seem to lack any kind of character whatsoever. No tonality, no smooth light falloff-- just a sharp, digital, raw block of an image.

This is my dilemma: Sony offers everything I want on paper in terms of specs, but I can't seem to find any photographer that creates work that appeals to me. And although I understand that this is entirely subjective and that there are more elements that go into a beautiful image (lighting, posing etc.), I'm hoping someone can point at fashion photographers creating work with the a7 series that doesn't fit the description I gave above.

Thanks, and apologies for the weird post.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Lan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow