Warning about 3rd Party Magnetic Connectors

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karner Regular Member • Posts: 100
Warning about 3rd Party Magnetic Connectors

As you realize, fitting the micro USB charger cable into a camera can be a pain, and even damage the connector. And, as you may know, you can buy a magnetic charging cable like to the one shown in the attached photo. The small connector on the right side of the photo is fitted into the camera’s charging port and from then on, the round end of the USB cable easily connects to the camera to charge it – literally a snap! There are both micro USB and type C magnetic connectors and they can be used with tablets, phones, etc.

Don’t try this on your equipment.

I attached a magnetic cable to my camera and after using it a few weeks I could no longer charge the battery in camera. Even going back to the original micro USB cable, the camera would not recognize the cable.  As it turned out, both the charger motherboard and the main motherboard on my camera had burned out!

Around the same time, the magnetic connection on my Samsung tablet stopped charging. However, I got lucky here and the original charging cables still work. The tablet was not damaged.

As a result, I won’t use third party magnetic connectors anymore.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow