Revisting An Oldie But Goodie

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dennis Bayer Regular Member • Posts: 274
Revisting An Oldie But Goodie

I'm still considering a Sigma 17-70 C as a replacement for the 16-50 kit lens. One thing that has concerned me is the length and weight. That 16-50 is so nice in that respect, but I'm not sure I want to travel with that kind of IQ.  So, after checking out the size of the Sigma, I found that my trusty old Nikkor 135 f 2.8 ai-s is just about the same length and weight with the adapter as the Sigma would be with the MC-11. It was a gorgeous day here and I decided to go for a short walk to see how the weight would feel. It wasn't too bad. I was only out for about half an hour and didn't see much. I shot a few flowers, etc. and they look nice, but just when I was coming down the ramp to our house (it's a houseboat) I noticed a Great Blue Heron on the roof standing next to our gas stove chimney pipe.  I stood on our neighbor's side deck which would be about 40 feet from the bird. Finally something that made for a good test!  I took a few shots.I was hoping that he would extend his neck, but he never did.  Eventually he saw me and screamed at me a bit, then took off.  The shots of him standing show that this 35 or so year old lens is still very useful.  He finally took off and I got off a couple of shots, but of course this is a manual focus lens, so they weren't as sharp as the ones where he is just standing there. I'm posting three of the shots. They are nothing special, but they will give you an idea of what these legacy lenses can do.  I set  the a6500 at 1/1600 sec. f5.6 and auto iso.

This is when he screamed at me

Just before the last one he was doing some yoga

Then he took off

Dennis Bayer's gear list:Dennis Bayer's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +11 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow