Tried the Eos R today

Started Dec 7, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726
Tried the Eos R today

I am now an A7iii user but I shot Canon for years and I have been wanting to try the R for a little while now.  I am satisfied with the A7iii, but curious about it.  Here’s what I found in my brief time with it

Ergonomics

Canon users like to go on and on about how terrible the Sony is, but I actually find it quite nice, here’s what I found on the Canon

• the grip is wonderful.  Seriously the best I’ve ever held, I like it better than my old 6d
  • button placement is strange and un canon like.  It was easier to start using the A7iii from canon than this thing.  Very surprising.  I’m sure I would get used to it over time but the Sony was more intuitive 
  • prefer the placement of Sony on off button 

Menus

• Canon menus are more intuitive, but I don’t hate the Sony menus like some.  Overall the Canon is better
  • touchscreen navigation of menus is sooo nice! Please Sony, make this happen!  

Autofocus

• Af was quick and snappy, as good as the Sony
  • touch and drag for focus I was expecting more.  It felt exactly the same as my A7iii except that it was harder to get it to every area of the screen.  I changed the area that you use and it was still like that.  I expected it to be better than Sony but it wasn’t. 
  • Touch and drag would work reasonably well but I would miss the joystick for cold weather especially 

Overall experience

Continuous shooting was rough.  Way slower than the Sony and it feels really laggy how it keeps the same image on the screen for a second during exposure.  I couldn’t beleive how much faster the Sony felt.  This was my biggest reason for going Sony instead of the R and I felt like that was the right choice after using the R.  The EVF on the R was definitely nicer, but the difference wasn’t as big as I expected.  If I used them side by side I think I might notice it more, but by the time I got back to my A7iii, it felt fine.

I had really considered the R because I don’t care about dual slots, 4K video and some of the other things and I do like Canon.   The touchscreen menus were real nice and it felt amazing in the hand, but I am definitely glad I went with Sony for the speed of shooting in continuous mode, IBIS, lower cost and excellent eye af.  I really thought I would like the R more than I did, but I will continue to watch Canons mirrorless camera’s with interest.

I was going to post this in the EOS R forum as well, but I don’t think it will go over well.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow