flat prints from camera scanned b/w negative

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PM Whiting New Member • Posts: 6
flat prints from camera scanned b/w negative

My setup consists of a Nikon D90, a 55m f/3.5 Nikkor Micro lens, extension tubes, and an ES-1 film holder. The light source is a LED bulb bounced off a white card at 45 degrees.

The scan has a decent looking histogram, the peak is right in the middle - however there's a fair amount of empty space at each end and I spread out the histogram using Levels in PhotoShop Elements.

That's about all I can think of right now, let me know if more information is needed.

I printed on an Epson 1430 set up with six carts of varying dilutions of carbon ink, ranging from 100% black to about 2% black. The result is a very disappointing flat print. I can improve it slightly using the Color Curves tool and setting the Mode at greyscale, not RGB. I'm thinking of bracketing the exposure in the camera. Right now I'm at 1/10 sec, f/11, 200 ISO. If I understand this, I'd get a better dynamic range and a better print.

Any ideas would be welcome! Thank you.

Paul

PS: the film is Tri-X, and well-exposed and developed... it's a good neg.

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow