Nikon Z6, Z7 and Canon EOS R low-light ISO scores?

Started Dec 4, 2018 | Discussions thread
OP Maarten D Regular Member • Posts: 180
Re: Nikon Z6, Z7 and Canon EOS R low-light ISO scores?

Slaginfected wrote:

Maarten Droogne wrote:

[...]

Is it a good approach to also look at specific ISO values to compare the noise? For example, with my old Nikon D200 I wasnt able to go over 1600 in auto-mode, but all in all I was able to get decently exposed shots (with a f/6.3 or 5). Could have been better ofcourse, but I think an ISO up to 6400 will be able to handle all my ISO needs for my wildlife shots [...]

First things first: I haven't used any of these cameras personally, and in case of R, Z7 and A7rIII also don't see any reason to do so, because I'm one of these few persons who really do need high ISO capabilities.

With that said, from what I have seen so far, I'd say that as long as you stay within the 4-digit ISOs, even the R and the Z7 are ok-ish, at least in terms of sensor performance (AF, noise in viewfinder, and other usability stuff are topics on their own which you must include in your analysis, too).

I'm not neglecting the other factors ofcourse, but I'm going through the process step by step!

I'd order the cameras like that: R < Z7 < A7rIII < Z6 ? A7III (latter two might be about equal). The difference between Z7 and A7III is more than 1 stop easily, and the difference is even bigger towards the R.

I included the Nikons for reference, but as I have a whole set of Canon lenses I can borrow, I'm gonna stay with Canon or Sony (with MC11 adapter). So my pick for now (A7 III) was the correct one!

Maybe another note: Its funny how the topic of high ISO is always approached with "noise" (although the actual meaning is more along the lines of "grain" or "graininess"). The reason why I mention that is that actual noise is causing color distortions and limits your post-processing latitude.

Is this "actual noise" a different set of specifics than the ones were talking about here? Or what do you mean?

But, as said, 4-digit ISOs are ok-ish for all options; but especially if you start processing ISO6400+ (real world) images out of an R and an A7III/Z6 you should perceive the differences during post-processing.

I am planning on doing post processing when needed, and when I say I wont need the higher ISO ratings, I'm speaking out of experience with a D70/D200 with very limited capabilities, so I could very well end up discover a whole new world of options with the extented ISOs. Those 2 cameras started to distort almost  instantly, a lot of times I shot for long extented times @1600 ISOs, which is a equal to 10 000 settings on an EOS R.. I do have a lot of experience of how "high ISO noise" looks like I have around 5-10000 very grainy captures from my last trip!  To conclude, although I dont prioritise the higher settings and their noise at that point, it is something I do value very much (which is an extra +point for the A7 III).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow