question about options for old, slow laptop

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,665
question about options for old, slow laptop

I replaced my wife's old/slow laptop with a new one, and now I'm trying to decide what to do with the old one with regards to the OS. I'm thinking of two different options:

1. install a Linux distro on it.

Probably won't be using it for much other than a travel laptop where I'd need web browsing, photo viewing, and e-mail, and not much else. So I'm not concerned that I can't find particular s/w that isn't readily available on Linux. I'm assuming the Linux install would fix the current slow speed issue.

I think the Linux option should work, but don't know if there could be a driver issue with some of the old hardware. Others seem to have done this without problems, so I'm guessing this would be a good approach.

2. re-install the Windows Vista (yes, Vista) from the recovery disk that came with the laptop. I'm guessing that would probably also fix the slow speed issue and it would run similar to when it was new. Don't care about what happens to it, so I'd just turn off MS updates (not sure that Vista even looks for them anymore anyway) and leave it in the original delivered OS state with no service packs. Running Vista would allow me to install old Windows programs I had on it before, if I decide I wanted them later.

So my question is this, if I go with option 2, would I have any problems running the base Vista, no service packs, or updates?? I think I can do e-mail with an old version of Outlook consistent with that era, but I'm wondering about Web browsing. Any new web browser might not play with an ancient Vista version, and if I use the old version of IE from the recovery disk I doubt that's going to play well with current Websites.

So for those of you who have experimented with restoring an ancient computer, what's your experience with these two options??  thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow