Nikon Z6, Z7 and Canon EOS R low-light ISO scores?

Started Dec 4, 2018 | Discussions thread
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 11,167
Re: Nikon Z6, Z7 and Canon EOS R low-light ISO scores?

Maarten Droogne wrote:

camera_nerd wrote:

Photonstophotos has a chart that is much more accurate than DxO.

See here http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm.

I have Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic cameras and just sold my Nikon

DSLRs. My experience agrees with Photontophotos.

Whoa, thanks for the suggestion! Exactly what I was looking for! What is, (in your opinion) a relevant difference in low ISO (or EV stop). I think DxO suggests a 25% difference to be relevant, do you agree?

25% is a strange way to put it but that's about 1/3rd stop which I think is reasonable.

Looks like the Pentax K1 II looks like the perfect fit for me (price, resolution and

Also, a few more questions:

Is it a good approach to also look at specific ISO values to compare the noise? For example, with my old Nikon D200 I wasnt able to go over 1600 in auto-mode, but all in all I was able to get decently exposed shots (with a f/6.3 or 5). Could have been better ofcourse, but I think an ISO up to 6400 will be able to handle all my ISO needs for my wildlife shots

Yes you can use your D200 experience to determine how much Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) you find acceptable, in this case it's about 4.2 :

I also through the Canon EOS R on since you have easy access to Canon lenses.
Since that's a full frame camera it's sensible to compare it in APS-C mode with the D200 because you'll want reach for wildlife.

The chart says that the Canon EOS R in APS-C mode at ISO 10000 has about the same PDR as the Nikon D200 at ISO 1600.

Personally, I would avoid that Pentax because they perform heavy Noise Reduction (NR) that you cannot turn off starting at ISO 800:

(The triangle pointing down indicates NR.)
Probably without the NR the Pentax would be about the same as the Canon EOS R.
Again, it's my personal preference to do NR later, if at all, so I wouldn't want this. You may feel differently.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow