Samyang AF EF14mm f2.8

Started Dec 4, 2018 | User reviews thread
Andy01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,704
Re: Samyang AF EF14mm f2.8

I really wanted to like the Irix 15mm because I liked the "click stop/detent" for infinity and the focus lock, but no luck.

I initially bought a Firefly 15mm and it was awful - badly decentred with the left side horribly soft. I returned it and got a replacement. It was not decentred, but the focus ring did not travel far enough, so even past infinity at maximum travel was slightly soft.

I then tried a Blackstone 15mm at the store, and it was the same as my Firefly. The Samyang XP was noticeably better, so I bought it and returned the second Firefly. Trying 3 different Irix 15mm was enough for me.

IMO the Irix is nicer than the cheaper Samyang 14mm f2.8 lenses, but the QC still needs work. When I was searching for a solution, I found many complaints (especially in Pentax forums) of Irix lenses with the same infinity setpoint issues.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow