Z7 autofocus issues in the studio

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tsdavis11 New Member • Posts: 38
Z7 autofocus issues in the studio

Tonight was the first real "issue" I have encountered with my Z7 over the 3+ weeks I've been shooting with it. 99.9% of the work I do as a full-time portrait photographer is outdoors. So far, even in dim evening light, I haven't had any issues at all with the Z7 refusing to lock focus (AF-S, pinpoint focus, low-light AF activated) with a variety of lenses.

However, this evening, I had a client that requested indoor portraits at my studio. I usually shoot studio portraits on my D810 at ISO 64, f8, 1/200th. I decided to try the Z7 for this studio session and I quickly discovered that it absolutely would NOT auto-focus at my normal settings. It would focus if I boosted the ISO to 400 or if I opened the aperture to f4.5, but I could not acquire focus at base ISO & f8. I also had the modeling lamp on two separate strobes turned to full-power (at just a few feet away from the client's face) and the overhead lights in the studio were also left on. This issue was unexpected and I was working with a paying client, so I did not test it with other lenses (I simply put the Z7 away, grabbed the D810, and kept working). This experience lasted for a couple of minutes while using the 105 f/1.4E & FTZ adaptor, which I have used without any issues up until now, but previously always shooting wide open or at f/2 while outdoors. I don't have any sample images because it quite simply wouldn't even focus enough to take a shot.

Just wanted to share my experience. I will need to conduct more thorough testing to see if I can duplicate the issue. I'm still very happy with the Z7, but I'm glad I hung onto the D810 for the time being. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Is there a solution other than boosting the ISO or opening the aperture?

tsdavis11's gear list:tsdavis11's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow