BTS Studio on location setup for corporate portraits

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Veteran Member • Posts: 9,365
BTS Studio on location setup for corporate portraits

An assignment for the next week or so has me working at a client's location making portraits of and for just a whole lot of people. Because of the time constraints per session there is not a lot of time to finetune the lighting for each person and I choose the tools to get a great look without much fuss.

I am using three lights: the key is a remote head for the Adorama Flashpoint XPLOR600 Pro inside an Elinchrom Rotalux Indirect 150cm with bounce fill from a Lastolite TriGrip reflector. The background is lit by a pair of Paul C Buff, inc Einstein E640s in 45" umbrellas. Al lthree lights are in manual mode.

I am shooting with a Nikon Z7 and AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E lens (using the FTZ adapter) that is tethered to a 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a BenQ SW240 monitor. I am using CaptureOne Pro 12 software for processing. Because the days are long, rather than use a battery, the camera is powered with a Tethertools CaseRelay power system.

The camera mount is a little unusual. A Really Right Stuff CB18 Camera Bar, FAS clamp, and PC-1 panning clamp mounted to a Foba ASMIA tripod head on a ProMediaGear tripod. using the CB18 and FAS a vertical rail and slide allows me to quickly adjust the height of the camera over an 17 inch range based on the height of the person without having to move the tripod.
I start with the camera level with the the person's eyeline i n the center of the frame and then I tilt the camera downward using the RRS PC-1 to compose the photo. This elaborate mount is useful as, pfr these portraits I like the psychology of the POV being on the person's eye-level.

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow