Looking to get back into the Canon DSLR game...

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alexaqui New Member • Posts: 22
Looking to get back into the Canon DSLR game...

I have an old Canon 20D and a 24-70 2.8L lens and flash setup that I stopped using a few years ago in favor of a Leica M range finder.  While I absolutely love the Leica and the engagement it requires to take a picture, I find myself wanting something a bit "faster" to use with more flexibility.

I was about to sell my lens last week when my wife stopped me and suggested I buy a new body.  I am a stickler for image quality, which is something I loved about the Leica in particular.

I am considering a few different options...  a 6d mark ii new given the current aggressive pricing, a 5d mk4 new, a 5d mk3 used, and a 5dsr used.  Pricing for the 6d and 5d mk3 are similar, and the rest are similar in price.  There are a few decent deals on used 5dsr out there and it is very tempting to step into the 50megapixel range for ultimate flexibility.  While I understand the 5d mk 4 is more flexible, I wonder if I am going to miss the extra detail the 5dsr is.

My main concern with the 6d mk2 is that I hear the autofocus is not the best.  Other than that, it seems like a terrific camera at the price it is selling for now.

Primary use will be for family shots indoors and outdoors and kids sporting events.  Also some travel and landscape photography, particularly as I go hiking with my family and dog.

At full price the 5dsr is out of my league.. for the mid 2's I'm seeing them go for at the normal used vendors, it seems attractive.

Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow