Canon Pro 4000 Issue

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bdark New Member • Posts: 3
Canon Pro 4000 Issue

Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting a hardware error (EC21-2F51) on my 15 month old Pro 4000 about every three or four prints.  Turning the printer off and then back on after a few minutes has always cleared the error.  Earlier this week I called Canon and updated the printer driver to 2.04, but still got the error, so Canon sent me a new printhead.  While I've changed many printheads in the past on my deceased ipf 8100 and 5000 printers without having to call Canon, I also wanted to change the connection from USB to ethernet, which I was not familiar with doing, so I called Canon for assistance.  As I powered up the printer to replace the printhead, I got the same error again while I was on the phone with Canon.  Even though I told the Canon rep that turning the printer off and back on has cleared the error in the past, I was told that it probably wouldn't work this time.  So I followed his instructions to "trick" the printer into releasing the carriage by turning on the printer and then unplugging the printer power cord just as I heard the "click" sound indicating the carriage had been released.  I then proceeded to slide the printhead over and removed the old printhead.  I was then instructed to plug the printer back in, power it up, and follow the instructions to install the new printhead.  So far so good.  The problem is that the maintenance cartridge is now full and the printhead replacement has not been completed.  Before I started with the printhead replacement, the maintenance cartridge was only about 2/3 full.  Now I am wondering if it is okay to turn off the printer, or if I should let it continue to run for five days while I wait for a new maintenance cartridge.  I am also wondering if ink was unnecessarily wasted by "tricking" the printer into releasing the carriage in order to replace the old printhead.  I'm not sure if the old printhead had filled with ink before I got the hardware error.  It seems to me that I should have tried rebooting the printer before following Canon's instructions to trick the printer in order to change the printhead.  Thanks for any help or advice!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow