Do you understand the "luminosity mask" in Capture One 12 and why this could be a big deal? ;-)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,736
Do you understand the "luminosity mask" in Capture One 12 and why this could be a big deal? ;-)

I asked a good friend of mine today whether he understood the luminosity mask in C1, he said he wouldn't have the foggiest idea, so in short, he didn't know that he needed it.

Or wanted it!! (possibly often enough the more accurate term to use anyway)

OK I had a little play with the mask and found it incredibly useful - for what I do/want!!!!!

Here is a quick example as to what this mask actually does. Since I did a quick clean up of the mask the actual processing time took me around 2 minutes. Possibly a bit on the long side for extensive processing BUT (!!!!!!!!) since the luminosity mask can be cut & pasted, it will add a lot - imo of course - to landscape photographers workflow, macro comes to mind but also portrait photography.

Here is my little example:

Step one: original photo.

Step two: add a filled layer and push the slider on the right (near 255) to the left until the mask covers what you want to eliminate (screenshot here showing the mask).

Step three: decrease exposure. Final, quick result.

Here is a Capture One 12 video showing you how this works ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ote7PerzBOA&index=8&list=PLBZS3EGK3tQ9Gw6mDgpu9S5rBpsTmBYo8

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow