New 6D 24-70 f4 Kit at very low price or....

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
a_hatzis New Member • Posts: 6
New 6D 24-70 f4 Kit at very low price or....

Hi to everyone, this is my first post in DPR forums.

I will try to explain briefly the facts:

I am shooting with a 40D, then 80D for a decade or so, using 70-200 L glass and various combinations of wide angles including the sigma awesome 18-35 Art lens. Mostly travel and landscapes when hiking, portraits very occasionally.

My company posted me in Japan for 3 years, which is a hiker's/photographer's paradise.

My wife is a former Nikon SLR owner and obviously needs a Canon body to gain access to my lenses. We plan to have 2 bodies and common lenses, so she can probably use my 80D (modern features and flippy screen).

After the EOS R was released in Japan they are offering the 6D kit with 24-70 f4L lens at about USD 1450 which I guess is a very good price for brand new equipment of this caliper.

I was thinking that the 80D modern AF + features + crop extra reach of the 70-200, combined with an economical FF body with good IQ (or better?) compared with modern FF bodies would make a good combo.

We would of course have to ditch the ef-s 15-85 and/or sigma 18-35 to make the above feasible financially.

Questions are:

1. EF 24-70 f4 L vs. Sigma 18-35: Am I going to be disappointed with the 24-70 IQ? the 18-35 is stellar although misses focus sometimes (difficult to perfectly adjust with the sigma dock).

2. EF 24-70 f4 L vs. EF-S 15-85: Should I expect any significant IQ improvement in the equivalent 24-70 range?

3. Forget about the 80D-6D combo and wait for mirrorless bodies and EF/RF developments in the next 6-12 months from Canon?

Glad to read thoughts and opinions.

a_hatzis's gear list:a_hatzis's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +1 more
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow